The Philadelphia Experiment


USS Eldridge (DE-173), 1943-1951

USS Eldridge, a 1240-ton Cannon class destroyer escort built at Newark, New Jersey, was commissioned in August 1943. She was employed on escort duties in the Atlantic until May 1945, when she departed for service in the Pacific. Eldridge was decommissioned in July 1946 and placed in the Reserve Fleet. In January 1951, she was transferred to the Greek Navy, in which she served as Leon into the 1990s.


Let’s Begin…..

Project Rainbow was allegedly an experiment conducted upon a small destroyer escort ship during World War II, both in the Philadelphia Naval Yard and at sea; the goal was to make that ship invisible to enemy detection. The accounts vary as to whether the original idea was to achieve invisibility to enemy radar or whether the prize sought after was more profound: optical invisibility. Either way, it is commonly believed that the mechanism involved was the generation of an incredibly intense magnetic field around the ship, which would cause refraction or bending of light or radar waves around the ship, much like a mirage created by heated air over a road on a summer day. The legend goes on to say that the experiment was a complete success… except that the ship actually disappeared physically for a time, and then returned. They wanted to “cloak” the ship from view, but they got de-materialization and teleportation instead..

It has been claimed that the Philadelphia Experiment was partly an investigation into how Albert Einstein’s “Unified Field Theory for Gravitation and Electricity” might be used to advantage in the development of electronic camouflage for ships at sea. Einstein allegedly published his Unified Theory around 1925-27 in German, in a Prussian scientific journal, but it was later withdrawn as incomplete. This research was aimed at using intense electromagnetic fields to mask a ship from incoming projectiles, mainly torpedoes. This was later extended to include a study of creating radar invisibility by a similar field in the air rather than in the water.

The story begins in June of 1943, with the U.S.S. Eldridge, DE (Destroyer Escort) 173, being fitted with tons of experimental electronic equipment. This included, according to one source, two massive generators of 75 KVA each, mounted where the forward gun turret would have been, distributing their power through four magnetic coils mounted on the deck. Three RF transmitters (2 megawatt CW each, mounted on the deck), three thousand ‘6L6’ power amplifier tubes (used to drive the field coils of the two generators), special synchronizing and modulation circuits, and a host of other specialized hardware were employed to generate massive electromagnetic fields which, when properly configured, would be able to bend light and radio waves around the ship, thus making it invisible to enemy observers.

The experiment, said to have taken place at the Philadelphia Naval Yard and also at sea, took place on at least one occasion while in full view of the Merchant Marine ship S.S. Andrew Furuseth, and other observation ships. The Andrew Furuseth becomes significant because one of its crewmen is the source of most of the original material making up the PX legend. Carlos Allende, a.k.a. Carl Allen, wrote a series of strange letters to one Dr. Morris K. Jessup in the 1950’s in which he described what he claims to have witnessed: at least one of the several phases of the Philadelphia Experiment.

At 0900 hours, on July 22nd, 1943, so the story goes, the power to the generators was turned on, and the massive electromagnetic fields started to build up. A greenish fog was seen to slowly envelop the ship, concealing it from view. Then the fog itself is said to have disappeared, taking the Eldridge with it, leaving only undisturbed water where the ship had been anchored only moments before.

The elite officers of the Navy and scientists involved gazed in awe at their greatest achievement: the ship and crew were not only radar invisible but invisible to the eye as well! Everything worked as planned, and about fifteen minutes later they ordered the men to shut down the generators. The greenish fog slowly reappeared, and the Eldridge began to dematerialize as the fog subsided, but it was evident to all that something had gone wrong.

When boarded by personnel from shore, the crew above deck were found to be disoriented and nauseous. The Navy removed the crew, and shortly after obtained another. In the end, the Navy decided that they only wanted radar invisibility, and the equipment was altered.

On the 28th of October in 1943, at 17:15, the final test on the Eldridge was performed. The electromagnetic field generators were turned on again, and the Eldridge became near-invisible; only a faint outline of the hull remained visible in the water. Everything was fine for the first few seconds, and then, in a blinding blue flash, the ship completely vanished. Within seconds it reappeared miles away, in Norfolk, Virginia, and was seen for several minutes. The Eldridge then disappeared from Norfolk as mysteriously as it had arrived, and reappeared back in Philadelphia Naval Yard. This time most of the sailors were violently sick. Some of the crew were simply “missing” never to return. Some went crazy, but, strangest of all, five men were fused to the metal in the ship’s structure.

The men that survived were never the same again. Those that lived were discharged as “mentally unfit” for duty, regardless of their true condition.

So, what had begun as an experiment in electronic camouflage, ended up as an accidental teleportation of an entire ship and crew, to a distant location and back again, all in a matter of minutes!

Although the above may seem fantastic, one must remember, that in the 1940’s the atomic bomb was also being invented.


More information…….

The experiment was an attempt to move equipment and personnel through time and space using a Naval warship known as the USS Eldridge (DE-173), a destroyer escort. On August 15, 1943, a total of 181 men (176 sailors and 5 civilian scientists of which I was one of) were on board the Eldridge and along with one observation ship set out to sea for an experiment of which was never before attempted. Using technology that had already been proven successful on a smaller scale, the human factor was for the first time included within the scope of the experiments, whereas before only inanimate objects were used. We did, however, experiment with small animals during a dry run conducted on the 12th of August, 1943, which had horrifying results. There were three different agendas’, which were:

1. a scientific agenda, which was to explore the time/space continuum for scientific discovery;

2. a military agenda, which since we were at war (World War II) the military wanted this technology for warring purposes; and lastly,

3. there was an extraterrestrial agenda, which was to map out the earth’s planetary magnetic grid for interdimensional travel.

There was a CORE agenda, which was secretly held close at hand by those behind the scenes. I identify them as “those in the know”, and their agenda was to REWRITE HISTORY!


The origin of the NAVY’S Top Secret project in 1943 when radar invisibility was being researched aboard the USS Eldridge. As the Eldridge was stationed at the Philadelphia Navy Yard, the events concerning the ship have commonly been referred to as the “Philadelphia Experiment”. Having been the subject of different books and a reality show, only a quick synopsis will be given here.* The Philadelphia Experiment was known as the Rainbow Project to those who manned and operated it. It was designed as a top secret project that would help end World War II. The forerunner of today’s stealth technology, the Rainbow Project was experimenting with a technique to make a ship invisible to enemy radar. This was done by creating an “electromagnetic bottle” which actually diverted radar waves around the ship. An “electromagnetic bottle” changes the entire electromagnetic field of a specific area – in this case, the field encompassing the USS Eldridge. While the objective was to simply make the ship undetectable by radar, it had a totally unexpected and drastic side effect. It made the ship invisible to the naked eye and removed it from the space-time continuum. The ship suddenly reappeared in Norfolk, Virginia, hundreds of miles away. The project was a success from a material standpoint, but it was a drastic catastrophe to the people involved. While the USS Eldridge “moved” from the Philadelphia Naval Yard to Norfolk and back again, the crew found themselves in complete disorientation. They had left the physical universe and had no familiar surrounding to relate to. Upon their return to the Philadelphia Navy Yard, some were planted into the bulkheads of the ship itself. Those who survived were in a mental state of disorientation and absolute horror. The crew were subsequently discharged as “mentally unfit” after having spent considerable time in rehabilitation. The status of “mentally unfit” made it very convenient for their stories to be discredited. This put the Rainbow Project at a standstill. Although a major breakthrough had occurred, there was no certainty that human beings could survive further experimentation. It was too risky. Dr. John von Neumann, who headed the project, was now summoned to work on the Manhattan Project. This concerned the making of the atom bomb, which became the weapon of choice for ending World War II. Although it is not well known, vast research that began with the Rainbow Project was resumed in the late 1940’s. It continued on, culminating with a hole being ripped through space-time at Montauk in 1983.

The goal of this revisited experiment to be conducted by the fame John Hutchison and Ronnie Milione is to give you a general understanding of the research and events subsequent to the Philadelphia Experiment to be revisited.



The Real Historic Details

USS Eldridge (DE-173), 1943-1951


In 1912, a mathematician named David Hilbert developed several different methods of new math. One of these was known as “Hilbert Space.” With this he developed equations for multiple realities and multiple spaces. He met Dr. John von Neumann in 1926 and shared his information. Von Neumann took a lot of the systems he learned from Hilbert and ran with it. According to Einstein, von Neumann was the most brilliant of mathematicians. He had an uncanny ability to take abstract theoretical concepts in math and apply them to physical situations. Von Neumann developed all kinds of new systems and math. A Dr. Levinson had come along and developed the “Levinson Time Equations.” He published three books, which are now very obscure and almost impossible to find. An associate of mine did dig up two of them at Princeton’s Institute for Advanced Study. All of this work was to serve as a background for the invisibility project which would apply the theoretical principles to a large hard object. Serious research into the subject of invisibility began in earnest in the early 1930’s at the University of Chicago. Dr. John Hutchinson Sr. served as Dean at this particular time and was privy to the work of Dr. Kurtenhauer, an Austrian physicist then at the University.


They were later joined by Nikola Tesla. Together, they studied the nature of relativity and invisibility. In 1933, the Institute for Advanced Study was formed at Princeton University. This included Albert Einstein and John von Neumann, a brilliant mathematician and scientist. The invisibility project was transferred to Princeton shortly thereafter. In 1936, the project was expanded and Tesla was made the director of the group. With Tesla on board, partial invisibility was achieved before the end of the year. Research went on to 1940 when a full test was done in the Brooklyn Naval Yard. It was a small test, with no one on board the vehicle. The ship used was powered by generators from other ships, connected by cables. Another scientist, T. Townsend Brown, became involved at this point. He was known for his practical ability to apply theoretical physics. Brown had a background in gravity and magnetic mines. He had developed counter measures to the mines with a technique known as degaussing. This would trip the mines at a safe distance.


There was a big brain drain on Europe in the 1930’s. Many Jewish and Nazi scientists were smuggled into the country. Much of this influx has been attributed to A. Duncan Cameron Sr. Although we know he had extensive connections, his exact relationship to intelligence circles is still a mystery. By 1941, Tesla had full confidence of the powers that be (FDR). A ship was procured on his behalf, and he had coils wrapped around the entire ship. His famous Tesla coils were also employed on the ship. However, he grew wary because as the project developed, he knew there would be problems with personnel. Perhaps he knew this due to his ability to fully visualize his inventions in his mind. In any case, Tesla knew that the mental state and bodies of the crew would be affected severely. He wanted more time to perfect the experiment. Von Neumann disagreed with this vehemently at the time and the two never got along. Von Neumann was a brilliant scientist but did not embrace metaphysics for its own sake. Metaphysics was old hat to Tesla, and he had built a successful legacy of inventions based upon his unique prescience. Part of what made his views so controversial was that during his experiments in Colorado Springs, circa 1900, he said that off planet intelligence had contacted him via consistent signal messages when Mars approached. This also occurred in 1926 when he had radio towers erected in the Waldorf Astoria and at his New York city lab. He claimed to receive information that he’d lose people if things were not changed. He needed time to design new equipment. Tesla’s requests for more time were not heeded.


The government had a war to win and additional time was not granted. Tesla went through the motions but secretly sabotaged the operation in March 1942. He was either fired or quit. He is supposed to have died in 1943, but there is arguable evidence to suggest he was wicked off to England. A look-alike derelict is supposed to have been put in his place for the funeral. He was cremated the day after his body was found which was not in keeping with the tradition of his family’s orthodox faith. Whether or not he died is controversial. That secret papers were removed from his safe has never been in question. Von Neumann was named director of the project. He did a study and determined that two huge generators would be required for the experiment. The keel for the USS Eldridge was laid in July 1942. Tests were done at dry dock. Then, in late ’42, von Neumann decided that the experiment could be fatal to people, just as Tesla had suggested. Ironically, he still got upset at the mention of Tesla’s name. He decided a third generator would do the trick. He had time to build one but never got the third one to synchronize with the other two. It never worked because the gear box was incompatible. The experiment went out of control and a Navy technician was zapped, went comatose for four months and left the project. They pulled out the third generator. Von Neumann wasn’t satisfied, but his superiors weren’t going to wait any longer.


In July 20, 1943, they decided it was ready and made tests. Duncan Cameron Jr. and his brother, Edward, were in the control room to operate it. The ship was no longer at anchor and orders came by radio to turn it on. Fifteen minutes of invisibility ensued. There were immediate problems with people. They got sick, some experiencing nausea. There were also mental illnesses and psychological disorientation. They needed more time, but the final deadline was given for August 12th, 1943. The orders came from the Chief of Naval Operations, and he said he was only concerned with the war. Trying to avoid damage to individuals involved, von Neumann tried to modify the equipment so that only radar invisibility would be achieved, not literal sight invisibility. Six days before the final test on the Eldridge.  However, for three to six minutes, things looked good. It appeared it might work without any devastating effects. They could see the outline of the ship – everything was gone. There were problems. The principal radio mast and the transmitter were broken. People were jammed in the bulkheads. Others were walking around in an insane state. Duncan and Edward Cameron did not suffer the same trauma as their shipmates. They had been shielded in the generator room which was surrounded by steel bulkheads. The steel acted as a shield to the RF energy. As they witnessed things falling apart, they tried to shut off the generator and transceivers but were unsuccessful.

Ships Log – Notice the Date!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9


You may also like...

Your email will not be published. Name and Email fields are required